Thursday 28 June 2012

Tonal languages - breeze or bane?

Are you tone deaf, or think you might be?  Really, tonal languages are not that hard to master.  

I'm no language expert, but I can tell you how many tones these languages have:
Mandarin - 4 tones
Thai - 5 tones
Cantonese - 9 tones
Vietnamese - 8 or 9 tones, depending on whom you ask

I'm not tone deaf, but Vietnamese is a really tough language to learn!  I can manage words, order food, count from 1 to 10, bargain a bit when shopping, and overall, get by without being cheated, esp since I look like a Vietnamese.

I may be a Cantonese, but sometimes my tones and inflections still get mixed up.  I definitely don't get enough speaking and listening practice.  Reading is completely out for me.  I read and type in Mandarin, not Cantonese!  Cantonese is a strictly oral language for me.

My very strict Thai teacher, Mr Kim Song, taught me how to speak proper Thai clearly. He drilled me over and over again until I got the sounds right.  For that, I am eternally grateful.  I may speak Thai slowly, but I've got the right accent.  It was so hard, though!  

I learned Thai as an adult and managed to function quite well in the language, being able to follow meetings, church services, and conversations without problem. 

Tones?  They're a breeze only after you've put in sweat and effort to get them right.  Bane?  Only in your mind.  Get down and cracking, if you really want to learn a language.  Nothing comes easy, but the rewards are immeasurable.

No comments:

Post a Comment