Monday 18 February 2013

Get rid of negative behaviour, be a friend instead

We live in a modern world. It is so global that someone commented that women dress the same all over the world. There is no unique fashion statement anymore. So, why is this "old-fashioned" behaviour still taking place in one of the most cosmopolitan cities of the world, Sydney, Australia?

The sad thing is that this man is a prominent TV personality. He had to do everything he could to rein in his emotions for the sake of his 2-year-old daughter. It takes a real man to keep such deplorable behaviour quiet. I salute him!

I am glad he finally chose to tweet about it. The world must know that such narrow-minded thinking still exists and must be gotten rid off forever. I am glad that it created such an uproar in Australia. It's very nice to know that the average Australian does not condone such nasty behaviour. My friend experienced racism the first day she arrived in Perth. In contrast, my Sydney friend Liz felt most welcome in Singapore.

Wherever you live in the world, I am sure you have at least one "foreigner" living in your midst, unless you come from a remote village, I suppose. Regardless, I encourage you to make the bold step and reach out to a different culture today. The world is too big for us to hold negative views of others. Be a friend. You'll get a friend in return! Liz did. So will you!

Have fun making friends and learning their language!

No comments:

Post a Comment