Monday 26 January 2015

Scoops? Scopes?

I came across this in a restaurant menu and had a good laugh. I took notice because I like waffles and ice cream! Who does not? Yum!

Well, this restaurant serves waffles with two "scopes of ice cream". Huh?

A "scope" is, among other definitions, a viewing instrument like a microscope, periscope, etc. When you have a problem in your stomach or intestines, a doctor will insert a tube with a small camera down your mouth into your stomach and beyond to see what is going on inside you. That tube with a small camera is called a "scope".

What I want with my waffle is a "scoop" of ice cream. I expect my ice cream to come in the form of a round ball about 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter. The size of the scoop varies, but the idea is the same: a small ball of ice cream on top of my waffle.

Obviously the copywriter for this restaurant's menu did not bother to check the correct spelling before sending the menu to print. Hmmm .... Nonetheless, I hope the waffle and ice cream tastes good :)

It does not hurt to check, check and re-check.

Enjoy your scoops of ice cream or risk having a scope going down your gut :D

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment