Monday 23 March 2015

Selfie, Selphy

On the invitation of a friend, I went to view an exhibition by a university student group. In line with Singapore's Jubilee (50th year of independence), the theme of the exhibition was on Singapore's heritage and history. One of the projects the students organised was a Smiling Singapore wall. Visitors to the exhibition could have their photos taken and affixed to the wall, which bore an outline of the map of Singapore. When filled, the wall would show smiling faces representing the nation.

When I visited, my friend asked if I would like to have my photo taken for the wall. I gamely agreed. He then signalled to his friend to take my photo, saying, "Hey, take a selfie." (At least, that was what I thought I heard - "selfie".) A female student came along with a tablet to take my photo. I said to her that she had to take the photo because I wasn't very good at taking selfies. She smiled.

Photo taken, we walked over to the table to have it printed. That is where I noticed the name on the printer: "Selphy". Ohhhh ... so my friend was referring to "Selphy", not "selfie"! "Take a Selphy" is what he said.

Same sound, entirely different meaning.

The next time I get a photo taken, I should just let the people do their job and keep my mouth shut. Less confusion on my part.

Go take a selfie and have it printed on a Selphy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment