Thursday 26 July 2012

Hard work pays off

"When I was young, my mother sent me 3 times a week to learn Khmer (language).  I got as far as the first line of the alphabet.  That's about it."  My Cambodian-American trainer was telling me his story.  He was fascinated that I spoke his native language, when he couldn't.


"Well, you're smart and I'm not. So ..." This was his justification for not being able to speak Khmer despite all the lessons as a child.  


"But, you have the blood and I don't!" I countered.  His response was a laugh.  


Honestly, learning a language takes sheer hard work and a determination to "get it".  I had no choice BUT to learn to communicate in Khmer because almost nobody around me spoke good enough English to be understood!  


They said they spoke English, but as in every Asian culture, they would never admit they didn't understand.  So, to prevent further frustration and stress, I dug in my heels and learned Khmer.  It helped that power outages were a daily occurrence.  Since I couldn't work on the computer, I spent my days parroting off the alphabet and vowels and writing them over and over again till they stuck in my head.


I have no regrets.  I can communicate in Khmer well, read and write.  I don't get cheated, made fun of behind my back, or cursed in my face because I understand every word that is said.  Those long hours of hard work are well worth every minute.


The key to learning a language?  Sheer determination and hard work.  There is no easy route, but the rewards are so fulfilling!


Happy language learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment