Tuesday 4 December 2012

Keep making friends for life

To follow up on my post about building friends, not just business relationships, I wanted to share this article about how Singapore has managed to survive all these years - just by making friends for life. And long may she continue to do so.

Singapore is a small island city state with no natural resources. But, our forefathers have built up a strong nation of 47 years, simply by focusing on the most important resource in the world: people.

It takes people to build relationships.
It takes people to build friendships.
It takes people to maintain relationships for the long haul, beyond the momentary business deal.
And it takes people to cross the language and cultural barrier to build friendships for a lifetime.

My whole purpose of learning languages is to communicate in the heart language of the people I want to learn about, befriend and appreciate. In the process of learning their language, I learn about their culture. I get accepted as "one of them". I have effectively crossed the cultural barrier. I am no longer considered an "outsider".

Would you like to be accepted into another culture as "one of the boys"? Begin by learning a language. Begin here.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment