Tuesday 18 December 2012

Translation = changing a language?

"Lost in translation" is a phrase used frequently. I use it too. Since I have to translate orally and written text often, I face this issue too. It is very real.

When I read what Howard Goldblatt wrote, I was fascinated. We're not merely making the text understood in a different language, but we've sort of added our own perspective into the text. Writing is very personal. Writing expresses what we want to say in the way we want to say it. Translating a text adds the translator's personality into the expression. This is why Google translate is not the best translator in the world. In fact, most text gets mangled simply because it is not human!

Yet, translators are indispensable. We can't live without them. So many languages in the world. So many excellent pieces of writing in each language. How can I appreciate it? I need a translator.

The only way to circumvent "lost in translation" is to learn the language yourself. I speak from experience. I love it when I catch the nuance that just isn't there in English! Communication becomes a real joy! So, make a plan to start learning a new language today! Log on to Fun Language Tools to find a package suited to you!

Happy learning!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment