Thursday 5 December 2013

Write simply, be simply understood

The language of bureaucracy. Happens everywhere. Somehow, a letter from a government department must always sound "official". But, does the reader understand what the letter is saying? Not always. It depends on how "powerful" your English is, or "powder-ful", as Singaporeans put it.

Communication is not complete until the recipient understands what is being said. If the writing sounds pompous, the image I receive is "official", but if I fail to understand the content, then the writer has failed in his communication. What good will that be to anyone, especially if the message is important (like a change in electricity rates or a notice to appear in court).

To battle this bureaucrat-speak, the British government started a drive to make all UK civil servants write simply. The Singapore government is following suit. Not everyone is good at English. We just know how to use it in daily life. As long as I am understood, I don't have to spout fancy words to make myself seem important. I am happy with who I am now. As we all should be.

So, here's to writing simply to be simply understood! Hooray!

Have fun writing simple English!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment