Wednesday 31 October 2012

Sry cnt mk it

We have become a text messaging world. We can't spell anymore. We type a message without vowels. Sometimes even our email messages are cut short. My PR professional friend said she took a few reads of my text message before she "got it". She said she's a PR freak - everything must be spelled out in full. She just wasn't used to my txt lng (aka "text language").

Me? I do both. I text message in shortened form and type emails in full spelling, with correct grammar. I even had to learn text language in Indonesian because of work. I don't know all the codes. Some are still a mystery to me. Some of my Indonesian friends even write Facebook posts in shortened text code. Most of them I can figure out because all they do is remove all the vowels unless absolutely necessary to retaining the meaning of the word.

But the point of the article is that we no longer keep to appointments because of the ease and distance of text messaging. When before we had to meet face-to-face or telephone to make or book an appointment, some people actually think it perfectly fine to cancel the pre-arranged appointment minutes before the appointed time. We don't feel bad or sorry for doing so because messaging is not all that personal after all.

What's happened to our culture of politeness and etiquette? Do we not value our word anymore? Maybe the issue is deeper than just text messaging, but a complete disregard for personal integrity and human relationship. I was told that for a couple from a particular religion to divorce, all the husband needs to do is send a text message three times to his wife saying that he "rejects" her. So sad. I feel for the wife. Does he not have any decency to at least say it to her face? I wonder. How the culture of that religion has changed because of the introduction of technology.

Indeed, technology has changed our lives completely. Instead of talking face-to-face, we "talk" with our fingers on a gadget, even if we're sitting next to each other! Can we no longer open our mouths to speak? I talked about this "chatting" idea sometime ago. We have become beings who are so good at being impersonal, yet so connected all the time.

Give me face-to-face interaction anytime. I love sitting down with friends for long chats over a glass of water. Nothing fancy, but deeply satisfying.

Let's bring back the culture of human interaction!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment