Tuesday 14 August 2012

People Movement

"God said to me that the only other thing that will remain constant in the years to come, (of course, God Himself remains constant and never changes), is people movement, " my friend said to me this morning.

People movement: people moving from one place to another.  They can move to another country, city, community, even to another location within the same country.  Any kind of move requires some kind of adjustment, big or small.  Moving to a bigger or smaller home makes me realise how much stuff I have accumulated over the years.  I have to learn how to get around the new surroundings.  What time must I leave for work now?  Will it take longer or shorter than before?  Who are my neighbours?  

Moving to a new city or country simply magnifies those questions.  Will I be able to adapt?  Do I have to learn a new language?  What are the customs and manners of this new place?  I hope I don't end up offending people for life.

Don't fret.  There is help.  You can read all about your new place through books and websites.  You can even read a book on how to go "cross-cultural".  Granted you will never be 100% prepared, but some preparation can help ease anxiety and make the transition so much smoother.

You can find a book to help you at Fun Language Tools: http://funlanguagetools.com/adjust_to_new.html

Happy adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment