Thursday 16 August 2012

What a difference time makes

I first visited Phnom Penh, Cambodia, in 1994.  I loved the place so much that I moved there for a year in 1995.  Frustrations abounded then: constant miscommunication, lack of running water, no constant supply of stable electricity current, everything breaks down all the time, etc, etc.

What a steep learning curve to move from modern Singapore to Phnom Penh that was picking itself up slowly after years of war and isolation.  But, I survived.  I learned to use the many hours of no electricity to memorise and write the Khmer alphabet, and later the language.  I couldn't work on the computer, so might as well put my time to good use.

I learned to carry buckets of water upstairs several times a day, so we could keep the constantly dusty house somewhat less dusty.

I learned to look carefully at a glass of water before drinking, to see if there was any mosquito larva floating around in the water.

6 years later, in 2001, I moved there "for good" - actually 6 years before deciding my time there was up.  How things have changed!  So many young people can speak decent English, so I found no lack of "Khmer teachers" who were more than eager to help me brush up on my Khmer.  Miscommunication still happened, but much less frequently - and certainly less frustration.

Clean running water!  What a luxury!  The water out of the tap is clear, except for the occasional brown stuff which happened every few months.  But, now I could drink the tap water after it had been in the sun for a day.  No more "floaties" to look out for.

The world is constantly changing.  No place remains static.  Whatever experiences I had in the 1990s are now part of history, never to be repeated.  6 years later, I had to learn to adapt all over again.  Never assume that "I've been there and done that.  Piece of cake".  The only attitude that we need to keep is "I am a student.  I am here to learn from you."  You'll be surprised what lessons await.

Happy learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment