Wednesday 15 August 2012

Will I adapt?

I have lived in the following places so far: 
Manila, Philippines
Eugene, Oregon, USA
Gainesville, Florida, USA
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Singapore
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I have also visited many other countries and tried to learn a bit about their culture and customs.

When I was younger, the thought of adapting to a new environment never crossed my mind.  I moved to a new place for work - the main reason why I ended up living in so many places for some period of time.  

I enjoyed every new place and made new friends (many are still friends today).  Perhaps the only place I never really got used to was Gainesville.  I was the lone Asian in a WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) office.  Since I was an intern, I didn't own a car and could not get around on my own because there was no public transport in that college-town.  I lived with a white family who were so lovely, but I just didn't get used to life there.

Today, "cross-cultural" is the buzzword.  Companies sending employees to another country for work make great pains to prepare the staff and his family for the move.  There are books and videos to help make a smooth transition.  I've never read or watched any of them.  I just packed my bags and got on the plane.  

Am I adventurous?  Maybe.  If you're fearful of the move, go read a book or scour the internet for info.  It could make the transition a happy one.

Happy reading and learning!

Psst: you can find a book here: http://funlanguagetools.com/adjust_to_new.html

No comments:

Post a Comment