Monday 3 September 2012

Host families - love 'em or hate 'em

I started university life in Eugene, Oregon, as a freshman straight out of junior college in Singapore.  Because I was still holding a US passport at the time, I was not considered a "foreign student".  I had to figure out everything on my own.  Thankfully, I met some wonderful American friends in church who helped me settle in and take me everywhere.

Today, my mother and I are host family to foreign university students from South East Asia.  Each year, one or 2 students are assigned to us to help them understand life in Singapore and be their family away from home.  Quite a few of them have since graduated, but we're still in touch.  We still host new students every year and keep in contact with those still in school.

Because we open our activities and home to other students, many of them consider us their host family too, even though they have been assigned host families of their own.  So when I've asked the students about their host families, I've had a few "Don't talk about it!" answers.

What made them say that?  Apparently the host family never bothered to contact them or invite them to an outing!  Some students and host families never even met each other!  

These students come over at 19-20 years old, some having never left their hometown.  Shy, reserved, maybe even a bit fearful, they wouldn't dare to call the host family.  The host family must reach out to the student constantly, making him/her feel at home and loved.

Having lived abroad for many years, I have appreciated every one of my local friends who reached out to me and invited me out, even at the last minute.  Some showed up unannounced at my home with food, inviting me to share their food.  I loved every minute!  They brought me into their culture and taught me so much about themselves.

Friends, host families, these are our teachers.  They help us adapt to their culture.  They teach us and touch us with things we can never learn from a book.

Reach out and touch someone today.  Go find a foreigner in your neighbourhood and be his friend.  Learn about a new culture today!




No comments:

Post a Comment