Friday 21 September 2012

Learning Language - use sticky notes


Post-It Notes or sticky notes are the best invention ever!  Before I had a smartphone, I used to write reminders to myself on sticky notes and stick them to the back of my cell phone, to remind me to get the task done.

This year, Singapore is encouraging everybody to use sticky notes to help us speak Good English.  Here's the suggestion: write down a good sentence or quotation on a sticky note and stick it to a notebook or something that you will see often.  That will remind you to use the correct phrase and ultimately, speak Good English.

I've seen parents write words in 2 languages on sticky notes and stick them to the item named e.g. write "table, meja" on a sticky note and stick it on the table.  The whole house would be covered in sticky notes, but children will learn the names of the item very quickly, as they play around the room.  This is great for the visual learner, and those who learn by association.

Those who learn languages best by reading and writing prefer to use a paper notebook to write down new words with the English equivalent and refer to the list frequently.  I noticed this works best for older folk aka the pre-internet generation. :D

What works best for you?  Share your thoughts with me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment