Wednesday 26 September 2012

It takes time to adapt


This article appeared in this morning's edition of The Straits Times, Singapore's English daily newspaper.  I read it.

The Indian Foreign Minister said that Indian expatriates need time to fit into Singapore life.  Don't judge them just because they seem to keep to themselves.  However, as local Indians and Indian expatriates do interact in places of worship and other activities, eventually, the Indian expats do integrate into Singapore life.

Two issues come to my mind:
1.  Everyone needs time to fit into a new culture and surrounding; and
2.  Singaporean Indians and Indians directly from India are different in culture

Everyone needs time to adapt

Let's face it.  Even if I moved to a new neighbourhood in the same city, I would still need time to adapt.  On a basic level, I need to learn a new route and public transport to school or work.  I need to find out where the shops are, and get to know the sales people.  Then there's new neighbours to meet and make friends with, ... the list goes on.  It's not a new culture, but it's still a new environment to me!  It may take me a month or a year to get used to the new surroundings.  But eventually, I adapt and make a home for myself in the new place.

Not all Indians are the same

India is a huge country with many tribes and languages.  Indians in different parts of India communicate with each other in English because there is no 1 national, unifying language.  So, when an Indian from India moves to Singapore for work, he is automatically different from the Indians in Singapore, who have lived here for a few generations.

Most Indian Singaporeans are South Indians.  Even then, when they visit their relatives in India, they find themselves in a foreign country.  My Indian friends said, "It's not the same!  We just can't eat the food!  They put this sauce on the noodles.  Can't get used to it.  After a few days, I just want to eat Maggi mee (a brand of instant noodles made in Malaysia)."  It baffled me when I first heard this.  But then, if I were to visit my relatives in southern China, I would probably say the same thing.  Just because we're ethnically the same doesn't mean we are exactly the same.

So, when you visit or move to a new culture and country, take time to integrate, but don't take too long.  You have to reach out is a first-hand account by my Australian expat friend, Liz Stuart. She has fit into Singapore like a fish in water.  Read her story.  Learn something from her.

Happy adapting and reaching out to a new culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment