Monday 14 January 2013

Universal culture of eating

Singaporeans are foodies. We love to eat. We will drive miles and hours just to eat a good meal, then drive home after that. We will search out the best stall or restaurant for a particular dish. We may be eating breakfast, but we're already talking about what to eat for dinner, or tomorrow's meal. What's Singaporean culture? Food, if you ask me.

So, here's Ms Audra Ang, a Singaporean journalist, who covered current affairs in China. When her stint was over, she was asked what she got out of her few years in China. Instead of an editorial, she wrote a book on, what else? Food, of course! Chinese culture through the food of different locations.

I think food is a uniting factor across cultures and languages. As much as we may not want to admit, I've found that all my blog posts about food get the highest number of views! So, we may be so different culturally. We may not even speak the same language! But, we have one uniting factor - we all eat! Haha!

I'm no expert on food, even though I do enjoy a good meal and like to cook occasionally. But, if you want to visit China or do business there, I can offer you a book or two for that. Learn some Mandarin today. Open the door to China.

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment