Thursday 24 January 2013

What's your "heart language"?

Language is a funny thing. We use it to communicate, whether orally or in written form. We learn language from the day we are born, by hearing the sounds made by those around us - parents, siblings, grandparents, caregivers, etc. As we grow older, we learn to use the language properly, or even learn a new language in school. Even the hearing impaired have their own language, called Sign Language.

As much as we use language to communicate head to head, what speaks to the inner depths of our beings is the "heart language", the language we spoke at home, not the language we use with the outside world for business.

Speak to the heart is an excellent explanation of how excited one can get over a language. This is where the key to touching a life lies. "Heart language" is not "language of the heart". By the latter, we mean "love" and "affection". The former is a complete language that makes us alive when we hear it spoken, even by perfect strangers.

What's my heart language? I don't know anymore. It used to be English, my first language. But now that I can speak 4 other languages, any one of those makes my heart come alive too! English is just the language I'm most fluent in, I guess.

Whether you speak only 1 language or multiple languages, you will always find satisfaction in learning a new language. Let's go multi-lingual today!

Fun Language Tools

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the "endorsement," Lena. I really still am a learner of the Spanish language. However, I told the members of my mentoring group last night that as I read my Spanish Bible day and night, I am beginning to really hear God speak to me in Spanish. And so, I know for sure what you feel when you say, "any one of those makes my heart come alive too!"

    ReplyDelete