Wednesday 14 November 2012

Are your tastebuds nationalistic?

I know Singaporeans love food. And we're very proud of some of the local dishes we have: chilli crab, char kway teow (fried flat rice noodles with lots of yummy ingredients and sweet black sauce), Hainanese chicken rice (not found in Hainan, only in Singapore and Malaysia), Nonya laksa, ... to name a few. When friends from overseas come, we want to serve them the very best of local food.

Imagine my shock and disappointment when a group of Cambodian youth returned from 1 week of youth camp in Singapore with local Singaporean youth. Of course everyone wants to know their stories. But, what crushed me deeply was the incessant complaining about the food that was served them. These Cambodian youth were not given special treatment. What the Singaporeans ate, they ate. Same box meals for everyone.

But the Cambodians said about the food: "How can they serve us such horrible food?! It's just like feeding us pig slop!" They went on and on for days on end. I felt as though each of them had taken a dagger and stabbed me in the heart over and over again. I was angry!

These kids didn't pay 1 cent to get the privilege of flying in a plane and going to another country. The Singaporean hosts paid their airfare, housing, meals, everything. Even their passports were paid for by their parents! (Mind you, back then, a passport cost USD150 to make.) Yet, instead of being grateful and appreciative, all they did was murmur and complain loudly about the food.

Finally, I had enough. I spoke to the leader of the group and told him he had to put a stop to this negative talk. The next day, no more audible complaining. I don't know if they continued to complain behind my back, but I had to do something.

Thinking back on that incident, I wonder if our tastebuds are nationalistic. We are so used to eating our national food that nothing else can hold a candle to our own food. "No Michelin starred chef can beat the cuisine of MY country," so we think. Maybe nationalism extends to food as well, from the looks of it.

Food is an integral part of our culture. So, I guess since we love and defend our culture, we likewise love and defend our food! But let's not take it to extreme. Embrace another culture, food and all. Your life will be so rich.

Have fun learning a language, a culture, and enjoy the food!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment