Friday 9 November 2012

"Look Who's Talking"

This story may be old, but it's worth telling. It's almost the weekend! Let's enjoy a good laugh.

My friend K called the local clubhouse to find out what movie was showing that week.

K: Hello. My name is K. May I know what movie is showing this week?

Clubhouse staff (CS): Look Who's Talking.

K: My name is K. My membership number is K2345. May I know what movie is showing this week?

CS: Look Who's Talking.

K: My name is K. My membership number is K2345. May I know what movie is showing this week?

CS: Look Who's Talking.

This went on and on for about half an hour. K kept repeating herself, trying not to get upset at what she perceived as rudeness by the Clubhouse Staff. The Clubhouse Staff just kept saying the name of the movie over and over again with no other sentences or words to clarify. Both sides were getting more and more frustrated with each other.

Then suddenly, both K and the Clubhouse Staff suddenly realised what was wrong. K thought the Clubhouse Staff wanted to know to whom she was talking. The Clubhouse Staff thought K didn't hear the name of the movie. When they both realised that different perceptions seemed to have caused frustration and miscommunication, they both started laughing. Matter solved amicably.

Remembering this story brought to mind an earlier post I'd written about the way Singaporeans communicate with one another. Neither K or the Clubhouse Staff were being rude or wrong. It's just the way we are - cut out the fluff and go straight to the point. Is that wrong? Well, that depends on which culture you come from!

I'm happy to adapt to whichever culture and language I'm in. My life is so full because of all the human interaction. Let's make this world a happier place by learning from and about one another's language and culture!

Have fun learning!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment