Monday 26 November 2012

What's your favourite food?

I always thought that our favourite food would be the food of our nation or culture i.e. what I've grown up eating would be what I enjoy most. Many of my American friends will eat nothing other than steak and potatoes. Fish comes in the form of fish fingers or filets, not whole fish with eyes staring at you from the plate. (Sound funny? I do have a big Puerto Rican friend who couldn't sit at the table while we were enjoying the delicious whole steamed fish! He kept shielding his eyes from the fish. We had to hurry up and finish the fish, and get the waiter to remove the plate immediately!)

So, I decided to take a poll on Facebook. I posted on my wall asking what your favourite kind of food is (e.g. Chinese, Italian, Thai, etc) without having to give a reason. Do I really need to justify my choice of a favourite food???

Out of the few responses I got, the majority of them said "Chinese". This really surprised me. I had non-Chinese friends saying they loved Chinese food. As expected, a few friends said their favourite food was from whatever culture they are from (e.g. Thai, Filipino, Mexican, etc). But I still can't figure out why a non-Chinese would say Chinese food is best.

Then again, there is really no need to have a reason for liking a particular kind of food. Tastebuds are subjective. To each his own. One of my friends was cheeky enough to ask if "free food" counted as favourite! Haha. I don't see why not!

So, are our tastebuds nationalistic? I don't know. While we're enriching our lives and knowledge with other cultures and languages, let's enrich our tastebuds too with delicious food from around the world!

Enjoy your feast!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment