Friday 2 November 2012

Texting language - sometimes a mystery

Sometime ago, my friends in church used to end their text messages with "MSH". The theme for the church that year was "Mujizat Masih Ada" in the Indonesian language, which translated into English means "Miracles Still Exist" (literally).

In Indonesian text language, we remove all the unnecessary vowels of a word so that we can fit in as many words as possible in 160 characters of 1 text message. So, "MSH" to me, was short form for "masih", meaning "still", as in "miracles still exist" (above). For months, I was puzzled as to why the full phrase "Mujizat Masih Ada" was shortened so drastically to end up only being the middle word. Since the rest of the message was the important point, I simply ignored it.

Then one day, the light came on for me! "MSH" means "Miracles Still Happen"! Of course! The lady who must have translated the phrase from Indonesian to English is a very good translator and a master of the English language. "Miracles Still Exist" may be literal translation of the original phrase, but "Miracles Still Happen" is the correct meaning, and certainly sounds more correct in English. I wrote on my Facebook status update that day that I was slow, but I finally got it. All I got was peals of laughter from friends. The next text message I got from one of my church friends ended with '"MSH" not "masih"'. Sure, just rub it in. But I wasn't insulted.

Text messaging language is still sometimes a mystery to me. But I'm getting the hang of it. It isn't easy learning text language of a foreign language! Learning the correct forms of the foreign language is hard enough. But life is all about learning new things. I will not trade communicating in another language for anything in the world. My life has been so enriched because of the new friends I've made, just by being able to communicate in their heart language.

Here's to lifelong learning of new languages! This Christmas, give the gift of learning. Pick out a book, DVD or software package and bless your loved one with a gift that lasts a lifetime.

Happy learning!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment