Tuesday 27 November 2012

Do you love books?

Do you love books? I do! Ever since I was a child, my mother introduced me to books. We took a trip to the library every week and spent hours and hours browsing, then borrowing as many books as were allowed at one time.

I learned to read English as soon as I could make out the letters. My dad taught me how to hold a pencil correctly and write my "abc". Till this day, I love reading, but I must say I still prefer holding an actual book, rather than reading off a screen. Somehow, my brain takes in more from a printed page, rather than an electronic screen.

This article talks about buying books for children. I love it! Children are sponges. Introduce them to anything and they absorb it quickly. I had many gifts of books while growing up. I loved buying story books every year at the school book sale. Books about different cultures and peoples of the world fascinated me the most. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I'm so into multi-cultural and cross-cultural books and ideas.

Learning languages came much later. I grew up in a monolingual home. My first language is English, even though I'm ethnically Chinese. Today, I can speak Mandarin and several other languages in varying levels of fluency. It is sheer hard work, but a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I haven't stopped learning yet.

So, this Christmas, if you're going to buy a gift(s), why not choose a book? Give the gift of learning today!

Happy shopping!

Fun Language Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment